The Parent Council is a group of parents who represent the parent forum (the collective name for every parent, carer or guardian at a school).
Parent Councils can:
- provide a voice for parents, in schools and in their local authority, on issues that are important to them and their children
- help the school to understand how to most effectively involve parents in their children's learning and in the life of the school
- support the school and head teacher in developing strong home/school partnerships
- support the school in its development and improvement, and in understanding and making links with the wider community
- capture the unique and varied skills, interests, knowledge and experience that parents can offer.
Until now the parent council has been meeting once per term to discuss a range of issues connected to school life, and its affiliated group – the Balwearie Fund Raising Group (BFG) – has played an active part in making a significant financial contribution to the school for the benefit of all pupils.
We need you:
Several of our members (on the council group and the BFG) will shortly be leaving us, as their children near the end of S6, and it’s vital that we seek new representation from parents of pupils in all year groups. No experience is necessary, but your views matter, and this is a good place for you to be able to put them forward. And, if you like the idea of making a practical contribution to the work of the BFG group, please let us know if you’d like to be involved in the work they do, which includes organising raffles and home-baking stalls at school events, and the organisation of the school lottery. Even if you could volunteer to help out at one or two evenings per year, without the necessity of attending any meetings, that would be a terrific support.
“Parent views are listened to and taken on board and are extremely valuable to the management team at the school. Modifications and changes can happen as a result of parental input. By attending this group you are supporting your own children in their education and helping to shape the future of Balwearie High School.”
(M. Penman, S5 parent)
Want any more information? Want to offer to help out during a couple of school events? Feel free to email Clare Lynch: Clare.Lynch@fife.gov.uk
AGM Wednesday 22nd August, Time; (TBC), in the staff room. All welcome.
Next meeting: Wednesday 5th September, 1830, in the staff room. All welcome.