Fife Festival of Music
A large number of Balwearie Students took part in the Fife festival of Music at the beginning of February, participating both in school groups and solo competitive and non-competitive classes. All of the students did themselves and the community proud with their confidence and performances. In individual competitions, special mention goes to the following students who won competitive classes:
- Mollie Quigley who won the 15 & Under Solo: Scots Songs class
- Stuart Welsh in the Woodwind Solo Advanced class won the Louise Gray Trophy
- Lucy Clunie in the Percussion Advanced class won the Premier Trophy
- Matthew Cobain in the 18 & Under Solo: Scots Songs class won the Lomond Music Shield and also in the 18 & Under Solo: Female and Male singers won the Robert Peacock Memorial Award
- Catriona Gauld in the 18 & Under Solo: Light Opera and Musicals class won the Roger Crook Rose Bowl
- Matthew Cobain and Catriona Gauld also won the Joanna Harris Trophy in the 18 & Under Duet class
Many of the schools groups also participated during the week. The Junior String Orchestra, Ukulele group and Folk group gave highly musical performances in the secondary non-competitive class, gaining positive feedback on their playing. The Senior String Orchestra also took part non-competitively in the Schools Orchestra class. All three of the schools choirs, the Junior Choir, Senior Girls’ Choir and Senior Mixed Choir, achieved a Gold award for their performances. Within the ensembles class, the folk group and Jazz group both achieved gold awards and the percussion ensemble demonstrated great skill in achieving a platinum award. The school Wind Band had an equally successful evening, also achieving a platinum award for their performance.
Well done to all involved!